Departmental Grading Policy (for composition lessons)
In addition to the grading policy of your specific teacher for private composition lessons, the following policy applies departmentally for grading K100, K400, K710, K810, K910:
Undergraduate composition students cannot be given a grade higher than a 'C' for a semester unless they have completed at least one work during that term, fully notated and ready for their portfolios. Graduate students cannot receive a grade higher than a 'B' unless they have completed at least one work during that term, fully notated and ready for their portfolios.
Undergraduate students cannot be given a grade higher than a 'C' in the second semester of any academic year unless they have had at least one work performed on a composition department recital in either the fall or spring semester of that year. Graduate students cannot receive a grade higher than a 'B'.
Recital Attendance and Composition Forum Grading Policy
1) All students registered for composition lessons (K100, K400, K710, K810, K910) are expected to attend required composition recitals; these recitals include, but may not be limited to, all departmental recitals, all individual degree recitals, and concerts by the New Music Ensemble. Excessive unexcused absences from required recitals will result in a lowered final grade for K301/K501/I301/501 Composition Forum.
2) A periodically-updated list of required and other recitals is posted on the Composition Department's home page under "Events/Announcements." It is the student's responsibility to frequently check this page and know the recitals at which attendance is required.
3) At each required recital students must check in with the Associate Instructor taking attendance to be sure their names are recorded. Do not expect the AI taking attendance to find you; you must make your presence known to the AI!
4) Students unable to attend a required recital because of illness, job, or class conflict must leave a note to that effect, including a written excuse from their doctor or employer, in the AI file of the Associate Instructor in charge of maintaining recital attendance records.
5) Students have two weeks from the date of an absence to rectify it. Unexcused absences not cleared within two weeks of the absence will remain unexcused regardless of any further information provided.
Specific Policies for Composition Majors, Minors and Cognates (K400, K810, K910)
- Students are only allowed 2 unexcused absences from required recitals during the semester.
- After 2 absences, your Composition Forum grade will be lowered by 1/3 for each additional absence. (A becomes A-, A- becomes B+, etc.)
Specific Policies for Composition Elective Students (K100, K710)
- All elective composition students are required to attend at least 5 of the concerts listed on the composition events calendar.
- Your Composition Forum grade will be lowered by 1/3 for each absence below the required number of 5. (A becomes A-, A- becomes B+, etc.)