Dates this semester (Fall 2021):
Keyboard Proficiency Examinations for non-piano majors(*) this semester will be offered on:
- November 12
- November 19
- December 3
- December 10
These are all Fridays.
The signup deadline for a proficiency date is 5pm on the Monday immediately before that date. Proficiency times for a date will be made available until the deadline for that date.
The exam is NOT offered at the beginning of Fall or Spring semester—only at the end of each session (including Summer).
Undergraduate students who have not passed the Proficiency must register for a Secondary Piano course during Fall and Spring semesters.
P131 students must have signed permission from their instructor to take the exam. P121 or P111 students may not take the exam.
How to sign up:
Sign-up is through this Canvas course. Visit the Canvas link (logging in to Canvas using IU authentication if necessary), and click "Enroll in course".
AFTER you have done so:
- In the left navigation menu, click “Calendar”. Make sure that "Keyboard Proficiencies, Fall 2021" is highlighted as an active calendar.
- Click "Find Appointment" on the right.
- Sign up for a proficiency slot in one of the available proficiency days.
Availability of exam times is NOT guaranteed for those who sign up later than 5pm on the appropriate Monday.
- Students are expected to have all items prepared for their exam. Ordinarily, a student who cannot pass all items within a single examination must repeat the entire exam.
- The exam may be repeated as many times as necessary to pass. Students may sign up for multiple exam dates within a single semester, but should wait to learn the result on a given date before signing up for another.
- 48-hour materials will be emailed to you at your official IU email address two days before the exam. If you have questions about materials or repertoire (click here for repertoire information), or if you want to play for us to check your progress, stop by MA 155 during office hours. Questions can also be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Piano Major Proficiencies are tentatively scheduled to be held on Saturday, December 4. The signup deadline will be 5pm Tuesday, November 30, with 48-hour pieces emailed on Thursday, December 2.
Tentative Future Examination Dates for Non-Piano Majors
While provided to aid in planning, the following are tentative dates for future proficiency exams, and subject to change. Finalized proficiency dates for upcoming semesters or sessions will be posted here at the beginning of each semester or session.
- April 9
- April 16
- April 23
- April 30