Competition Finals: Feb 1, 2020
1st prize: $1,500 | 2nd prize: $1,000 | 3rd prize: $250 (x2)
To spark innovation and encourage creativity in the Jacobs School, we're holding the seventh annual Project Jumpstart Innovation Competition. If you're interested in developing an innovative project, or if your student group or ensemble would like to present an idea, follow these simple steps:
- DEVELOP AN INNOVATIVE & ENTREPRENEURIAL IDEA
This can include a performance project, an app, a service, a festival, or a residency. Not sure about your idea? Come to our brainstorming session on Wednesday, November 20, from 12:15-1:15pm.
- WRITE A STATEMENT OF INTEREST
Deadline: Friday, December 6th, 2019
Write a brief (200 word max) description of what you plan to do and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DEVELOP YOUR PROJECT
Plan out your project in more detail at the Project Workshop on December 13, 2019--drop in to the OECD anytime between 1-3pm! You'll also work with mentors at the Kelley MBA Coaching Center, and our very own Joanie Spain will guide you through your presentation so that you can feel confident and comfortable in front of the judges on the day of the competition.
- SUBMIT A COMPLETE PROPOSAL
Deadline: Friday, January 24th, 2020
Email your proposal with any accompanying media (links to media work as well) to email@example.com.
- PRESENT YOUR PROPOSAL
Saturday, February 1, 2020 | 10am-1pm | Kelley School
Finalists will be invited to present their project proposals to a friendly panel, made up of Jacobs School faculty and administration, a representative from the Johnson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the Kelley School of Business, and a member of the greater Bloomington community.
We can't wait to see the entrepreneurial minds of the Jacobs School come together for what is sure to be a thrilling event! Please let us know if you have any questions by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting us in the OECD (MU011).
Check out our Facebook page to keep updated with events related to the competition!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to start a business to compete?
- No, you don't have to start a business. The competition is for all great, innovative ideas that you might have, regardless of size - it could be anything from an app you want to develop, a for-profit business, a fundraising concert, a new cross-collaboration arts collective, a new way to connect media and art, etc. The sky is the limit!
Don't know if your idea is good enough? Come to MU011 and have a conversation with us!
I have an idea, now what?
- Great! Now we would suggest that you attend some of our workshops geared towards the Innovation Competition (see list above), come to the office (MU011) to have an informal chat, and, when you're ready to enter the competition, send us your Statement of Intent.
What is a "Statement of Intent"?
- A Statement of Intent is a short, 2-3 sentence informal letter, where you announce to the OECD your intention to enter the competition. Your idea doesn't have to be a finished product at this time. The statement helps us see that you're committed, and from there we can help with finding the right resources and mentors for your unique project. The sooner you submit it, the more we can help you!
I feel stuck in developing my idea--what do I do?
- This is what our mentorship program is for: when you've sent in the Statement of Intent, we will pair you up with one or a couple of mentors who can help guide you and your project to success! We have mentors who are excellent at writing proposals, making presentations, develop ideas, etc - as well as a vast network of specialized people at IU who can give you project specific advice.
What do I need to include in the "Final Application"?
- The Final Application consists of your business proposal. For more information, attend one of our workshops or contact us for more information: email@example.com
I need help with finalizing my business proposal, who can I turn to?
- It's always a good idea to get in contact with your mentor, or send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't hesitate to contact us!
Previous Innovation Competition Winners
2019 - The Furioso Project
2018 - La Capitana!
2015 - Butterfly Dreams
2014 - Virginia Woodwind Workshop